Friday, March 11, 2016

Social Media

Our generation basically lives on social media. I bet there is not one teenager out there that doesn’t have some sort of social media account. There’s the bigger ones like Instagram and twitter, the old but good ones like Facebook and there’s even ones that not a lot of people have seen very much like Pinterest or Tumblr. Whatever you use, it’s still social media. There are many pros and cons for these kind of sites/ apps. There’s always a big debate on whether this technology is helping us or hurting us.
Most people use their accounts to keep in touch with friends and family. I use my Facebook to keep in touch with family who live farther away and I don’t see much. Instagram is used to help you keep in touch with friends and people you know. Other apps are used to spread around ideas, crafts and recipes like Pinterest. Twitter is used mainly as entertainment or just a place to vent for some people.
 A lot of these sites are used to spread information around. I get notifications from my soccer team on twitter about practices or things going on with the team. On Facebook I follow the school account which keeps track of different sport events going on so you always know the score. Many people follow the district twitter so we can know when there are delays or cancellations of school. Social media isn’t just for cat pictures and seeing what your friends are doing. It helps spread information and ideas.
There are a lot of people who believe social media has ruined our generation. We are obsessed with our phones and different social media. Many believe we don’t know how to communicate with each other in person because we are so used to hiding behind a screen. They believe we have become the generation that doesn’t care about actual social interaction. I honestly do not agree with that. I feel we are a very social generation and we use our phones so much so we can stay social with people. I admit there are times where I don’t want to talk to someone so I just look at my phone and ignore them. But I feel my generation is a lot smarter than adults give us credit for.
We are a generation of innovative, intelligent and caring people. We may use our phones a lot but that is definitely not the only thing we care about. We have values, we care about grades, family and friends. We know how to be good human beings but adults only see the ones who don’t. They judge us all too quickly saying we are all up to no good. That isn’t true, we try very hard to do our best but some adults are too biased and choose not to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment